Drinking Water Well Sampling-2022

Who?    Reminder, this is a NEW requirement by the “Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board” (Regional Board or Water Board).

Click here to visit the Regional Board website for the most up-to-date information on this regulation!

What?   On-Farm or *Domestic* Drinking Water Well Sampling on ENROLLED Parcels for nitrate (NO3-N) and nitrite (NO2-N) as nitrogen levels.

When?  Due by December 31, 2022; must use qualified Certified Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program (ELAP) for direct submittal. Visit the Regional Board website for current list of available ELAPs.

Why?    Per Regional Board, high levels of nitrate and nitrite found in drinking water wells impact public health. Excess nitrate and nitrite in soil is often found in rural and agricultural areas. The most common sources are fertilizer, livestock waste, and septic systems. Nitrate and nitrite in soil is highly mobile and can be easily transported to groundwater. The purpose of this monitoring is to identify domestic drinking water wells that have nitrate and nitrite concentrations exceeding the drinking water standard 10 mg/L and notify well users of the potential for human health risks.

As a Member, if you had a Domestic Drinking Water Well identified in your reporting, you should have received a letter directly from the California Regional Water Quality Control Board, Central Valley in early 2022 detailing your requirements to meet this regulation by December 31, 2022. This is their regulatory program, please read their instructions thoroughly!

This requirement will be for ILRP ENROLLED parcels only that have a domestic drinking water well used for human consumption.

*If you do not have an On-Farm or Domestic Drinking Water Well, please contact the Regional Board directly to inform them. Use contact information provided in their communications or visit their website by clicking here.